The Manx Ornithological Society (MOS, aka Manx Bird Club) welcomes birdwatchers of all ages to its meetings held at the Union Mills Methodist Church (usually from 7.30pm) and at different outdoor venues in the summer.
The Society takes part in national bird census and survey work. It publishes Peregrine, which includes the annual Manx Bird Report. Copies of the latest and some back issues are available from the Society.
The revised MOS Constitution was adopted at a Special General Meeting of the Manx Ornithological Society on 5th February 2013.
The 2017 Annual General Meeting took place on 7th March 2017.
Pat Cullen was reconfirmed as President, and the Officers and other committee members were re-elected together with Andrew Johnston as a new member.
The committee therefore now comprises:
- Chairman: Dr Richard Selman
- Vice-Chairman: Anne C. Kaye
- Secretary: Janet Thompson
- Treasurer: Richard Norris
- Committee members: Garry Curtis, Andrew Johnston, Chris Lo Bao, Allen S. Moore, Neil G. Morris, Mark Pidgeon, Chris M. Sharpe and Dr John P. Thorpe
Membership and key contacts
The Society's Secretary is Janet Thompson.
Membership is £5 per annum, though for school children it's free.
Subscriptions are due each year on 1st January, payable to the Treasurer and Membership Secretary, Richard Norris.
The MOS has long-standing close links with Manx BirdLife and has recently become a sponsor of Manx BirdLife's Garden Birdwatch scheme.
The Society also has links to other organisations:
Andalucia Bird Society: a mainly English-speaking society for anyone with an interest in birding or wildlife in general in Andalucia, Spain.
- LIPU-UK: founded in 1989 and since then has been successful in supporting LIPU, the Italian League for Bird Protection, BirdLife's partner in Italy. The Manx Ornithological Society regularly supports their efforts to protect 'our' migrants and other birds in Italy.
Please note (25 March 2020): Due to national restrictions in response to the Coronavirus pandemic, all MOS spring and summer events and outings for 2020 have been cancelled. These will be rescheduled at the earliest appropriate opportunity, circumstances allowing.
The winter events timetable for October 2020 onwards is being arranged and will be announced soon. Thank you for your understanding.