The Manx Ornithological Society (MOS, aka Manx Bird Club) welcomes birdwatchers of all ages to its meetings held at the Union Mills Methodist Church (usually from 7.30pm) and at different outdoor venues in the summer.
The Society takes part in national bird census and survey work. It publishes Peregrine, which includes the annual Manx Bird Report.
The revised MOS Constitution was adopted at a Special General Meeting of the Manx Ornithological Society on 5th February 2013.
The 2016 Annual General Meeting took place on 1st March 2016.
Pat Cullen was reconfirmed as President, and the Officers and other committee members were re-elected, apart from Tim Earl who did not wish to stand. In addition, two new members were elected, Neil G Morris and Mark Pidgeon.
The committee therefore now comprises:
- Chairman: Dr Richard Selman
- Vice-Chairman: Anne Kaye
- Secretary: Janet Thompson
- Treasurer: Richard Norris
- Committee members: Garry Curtis, Chris Lo Bao, Allen Moore, Neil G Morris, Mark Pidgeon, Chris Sharpe and John Thorpe
Membership and key contacts
The Society’s Secretary is Janet Thompson.
Membership is £5 per annum, though for school children it’s free.
Subscriptions are due each year on 1st January, payable to the Treasurer and Membership Secretary, Richard Norris.
The MOS has long-standing close links with Manx BirdLife and has recently become a sponsor of Manx BirdLife’s Garden Birdwatch scheme.
The Society also has links to other organisations:
Andalucia Bird Society: a mainly English-speaking society for anyone with an interest in birding or wildlife in general in Andalucia, Spain.
- LIPU-UK: founded in 1989 and since then has been successful in supporting LIPU, the Italian League for Bird Protection, BirdLife’s partner in Italy. The Manx Ornithological Society regularly supports their efforts to protect ‘our’ migrants and other birds in Italy.
Please book by emailing Janet Thompson: jthompson | at | manx | dot | net.
Further event details and new events will be announced soon!
|13 April||Spring migrants, Langness 1000-1230 followed by lunch at the Golf Club (booking required)|
|14 May||Dawn Chorus, Ballachurry Nature Reserve from 0500|
|27 May||Excursion to the Calf of Man 1000-1430|
|10 August||Pelagic from Port St Mary from 1800|