Closing date for initial applications: Friday, 5th May 2023
Manx BirdLife (ManxBirdLife.im, @ManxBirdLife) is the independent Isle of Man nature conservation charity working to protect and enhance the Island's wild bird populations and the habitats on which they depend.
We are seeking a highly motivated manager with an expertise in ornithology and a track record in nature conservation. This is an exciting opportunity to lead and grow this progressive conservation body. As well as regular ornithological surveys and monitoring and a busy Island-wide education programme, we are developing a major new, international standard nature reserve at the Point of Ayre (see http://manxbirdlife.im/point-of-ayre/).
Based in the Isle of Man, you'll be responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day running of the charity:
- Championing and delivering the organisation's nature conservation goals;
- Leading and developing the team of staff and volunteers;
- Managing the business;
- Reporting directly to the Board on all matters.
- Oversee delivery and development of our Education Programme and Point of Ayre National Reserve;
- Be responsible for fundraising, financial control, programme planning, research and monitoring, data and database administration, environmental and planning consultation;
- Act as principal point of liaison with Government officials/politicians, as well our partners, sponsors, suppliers and the media; and as our ambassador to the Island's community;
- Be the responsible officer for health & safety, data protection, safeguarding and compliance.
Working in the Isle of Man
The self-governing Crown Dependency of the Isle of Man is a great place to live and work, offering an envious work-life balance.
Nestled in the heart of the Irish Sea, the Isle of Man is the only entire nation in the world to be recognised as a UNESCO Biosphere – offering wonderful landscapes, coasts and seas combined with a rich cultural history and an active outdoors lifestyle, as well as all the comforts and conveniences of a modern society. The Island has convenient and frequent air and sea transport links to the UK and other parts of the British Isles.
See locate.im for more about the benefits of living and working in the Isle of Man.
What we expect you to bring
- The persona to sell the vision of a diverse, abundant and secure Manx avifauna;
- Ecological skills, especially ornithological expertise;
- Proven experience of biological data processing and database management;
- Experience of business management, ideally in the not-for-profit sector including fundraising and volunteer management;
- Ability to nurture and inspire a small but effective team;
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with an aptitude to get involved in practical implementation;
- Excellent organisational and project management skills;
- Working knowledge of health & safety, data protection, safeguarding, charity & business compliance;
- Ability to work under own initiative whilst supporting the team;
- Flexibility to work evenings/weekends as required (taking TOIL as appropriate);
- Your own transport for travelling meetings and outdoor sites.
We'll expect you to share our vision of a thriving Manx avifauna and its benefits to the Island's community and beyond; and we'll expect you to challenge the status quo while upholding the highest professional standards.
- Full-time, permanent role (with six-month probationary period);
- Salary from £40,000 p.a., subject to qualifications/experience.
Please email in confidence a summary CV with covering letter explaining your interest in this role, to email@example.com.
For an informal exploratory conversation about the role, call Neil Morris on +44 (0) 7624 455972.
The closing date for expressions of interest is Friday 5th May 2023.